Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Are you lads making cider this year?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2007 :  22:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's that time of year again. We're off to Hereford for a bit of cider making in a week or two. We've made an agreement with some quality small scale makers around Hfd to swap a couple of days' of our time working in exchange for (a good time, learning more about cider, and) some juice to take home with us and make into loveryl cider.

Will there be more HMZ cider made this year?

[All the best to you. It's been a while since I've been on this forum. Hope you're all well]

Al Caholic
Cider Bus Convert

Vatican City
145 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2007 :  20:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Ivanhoe.

Actually we've already made some last weekend. Not a lot but good quality. It's currently spilling brown gunk over my kitchen floor which smells wonderful!!!

Are you and tharg on facebook? it's a good place to keep in cider touch....

Al
Zider I up barkeep!
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  19:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news. Good to hear you're keeping the Nailsea tradition alive. We had a great week in Herefordshire, and a couple of really good days picking and pressing (but were pretty knackered afterwards - we obviously don't get enough exercise!). We'll be entering the Big Apple cider trials again next May. See you there?

I don't do facebook (it's not compatible with using the PC at work), but I'll check in here from time to time to see how you're getting along. Hope it goes well.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2007 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ivanhoe, good to hear from you, it sure has been a while, hope you're well.

That sounds like a great idea working with some small producers, maybe I'll try and do something similar in the future. Which producers was it, or are you not allowed to say?

I don't think we'll have anywhere near enough to even enter a bit in the cider trials, but I'd like to come along as a spectator if not, can't believe I haven't got a trip there organised sooner.

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  13:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[sorry for delay in replying]
We made cider with James and Helen at Gregg's Pit http://www.greggs-pit.co.uk/ Really nice people, in a lovely part of the world, who make very good cider and perry.

We've done it with them for the last couple of years. It's a couple of days hard work, for a lazy person like me who sits behind a desk all day most days, but it's a real treat to get away for a few days and do something useful. We made a holiday of it, and had a week staying in Ross, going for walks along the Wye, catching up with local friends, drinking plenty of cider, and doing a couple of days cidermaking. It's the future of tourism, I tell you.

We're only making one big fermenter of cider (the ones that you make 5 gallons of beer in, but which fit about 6 gallons of cider when you fill them right up) this year. We made the same amount of perry last year. It's enough to keep our hand in, and to have a bit to drink.

I think that we'll always enter the Big Apple if we can though, even though it means giving up a gallon of cider. It's a really great thing when you enter and then get to taste everyone else's entries (and judge the class you've entered in). We've also met a fair few cider makers there, which is good because you can then get some proper feedback on what yours is like(James and Helen we met there, albeit that Helen and I had emailed a few times because she was really helpful with advice when we were first doing it in London and needed to find apples/press/etc). It's worth a gallon if cider to me, and (the competition happens on the day before all the events that are open to the general public) it makes the Big Apple into a good weekend away. They have a novice category for people who've entered less than 3 times, and that's a smaller class, so we were saying last year that they should let you enter the novice class with two or three pints rather than a gallon, to encourage more entrants. Maybe you could write to the organisers and ask if they'd consider that?

Anyway, better get on with my day. All the best to you for a cidery Xmas.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page