Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Wassails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steve The Wurzel
White Lightning Beginner

42 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  17:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Steve The Wurzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody know of any Wassails in the area?

I went along to Wilkin's Wassail at Mudgely last year which was great..

photos are still here http://punkphotos.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!B2C72AD0579B0891!848/

That was on the 21st Jan in 2006

and West Croft (JJJ fame) has a wassail, quote: "A large Wassail takes always place on the third Saturday after Xmas." http://d327159.u22.dc-servers.com/wiki/index.php/Producers_in_Somerset#West_Croft_Cider

any others or more details welcomed.

PS its pronounced Wuzzal acording to a large red nosed farmer I was chatting to at Wilkins

PS no more Cyder Sunday's according to Stuart but we may get some selected cider related events in the near future, and if you want to organise an event with several varieties of cider I've got Stuarts number so get in touch with me on www.myspace.com/stevethewurzel

Churz.. Wassail!! Drink Hail!!

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The West Croft wassail is definitely the 20th, we've been the last few years and its great. You can see some photos and a bit of a write up here - http://www.hannahmorezider.co.uk/wassailingwestcroft05.htm

Never been to the Wilkins one but ive heard its good.

Why did the Cyder Sundays stop??? They were great!

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Steve The Wurzel
White Lightning Beginner

42 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  19:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Steve The Wurzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found a great site listing loads of the Wassails in the Uk.

I suspect not all are proper job "drink loads of cider" events, and Wilkins isn't listed so it probably isn't all inclusive.

http://www.england-in-particular.info/new/n-wass.html

Here's the Somerset entries, although there are plenty more from London to Coventry to Cornwall...

quote:

Common Ground

Wassailing 2007

Wassailing on Old Twelfth Night (17th January), a custom in cider making districts to exhort the apple trees to fruit well the following season. Cider is poured onto the roots and shots fired through the branches to ward off evil spirits. Warm cider is drunk and toast soaked in cider is placed in the branches 'for the robin'. Wassailing songs are sung. Wassail is from the Anglo-Saxon wes hal, to be in good health. It takes place across the country, notably at:

SOMERSET

Saturday 13 January
Old Ditch Farm, Westbury Sub Mendip – 6pm: Welcoming drinks of hot mulled cider or apple juice at Old Ditch Farm. Then singing of the village Wassailing song, the crowning of the Wassailing King and Queen. Then a procession around the orchards to oversee the hanging of cider soaked toast in the trees and the pouring of last year’s cider around the roots to encourage a good harvest in the autumn. Rifle shooting of evil spirits from the trees. Mummers play by Langport Mummers, Then back to Old Ditch Farm for the ceremonial burning of the ash faggot, lit from embers from last year's fire. Event organised by the Friendly Society.This is primarily a small local event so if you are planning to attend please contact Barry Lane on 01749 870457.

Saturday 13 & Sunday 14 January
Montacute House (National Trust), Montacute TA15 6XP – a weekend organised by Folk South West and Montacute House. Saturday from 10.30am is a day of community workshops open to the whole family in preparation for wassailing the village orchard on Sunday with sessions in lantern making, singing and percussion offered. All materials and equipment provided, entry £8 adults, £4 for under 18s. Please book with Folk South West on 01935 822911. Sunday 6pm Wassail the village orchard. A procession of lanterns and light accompanied by a local street band and percussionists, a stroll among the apple trees singing local wassail songs, shotguns fired into the apple trees, and Montacute’s Apple Play performed by local residents. Light refreshments. There will be a collection, donations welcome. More information from Folk South West on 01935 822911.

Wednesday 17 January
Somerset Rural Life Museum, Glastonbury - Wassail Evening. 7-9pm. Please book in advance. Adults £6.00, Children £3.00. Contact +44(0)1458 831197.

Wednesday 17 January
Barrington Court, Barrington near Ilminster (National Trust) - An evening event to bless Barrington Court's apple trees. 5.30pm-7.30pm. Admission FREE. Contact: +44(0)1460 241938, margaret.stone@nationaltrust.org.uk or see www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Wednesday 17 January
The Butchers Arms, Carhampton - claims the longest unbroken wassailing tradition in England. Slices of toast soaked in cider are put in the apple trees behind the pub, the Carhampton Wassailing song is sung, guns are fired to ward off evil spirits, and cider is poured around the tree's roots. Then back in to the pub for live music. An event enjoyed by the local community. From around 7pm. Contact the Butchers Arms for more information on 01643 821 333 or info@butchersarmscarhampton.co.uk

Saturday 20 January
West Croft Cider, West Croft Farm, Brent Knoll, Highbridge – traditional wassail with music, mulled cider and Morris dancing, hog roast, freebies, family friendly. Ticket only, £6 – call in or phone to book. +44(0)1278 760762.

Saturday 20 January
Horfield Organic Community Orchard, off Kings Drive Bishopston, Bristol - Wassailing in the Community Orchard with Morris and songs, mulled cider and cakes. Free entry. 2-4pm. Entry via lane opposite 23 Kings Drive, Bishopston.

Sunday 21 January
Willsbridge Mill (Avon Wildlife Trust), Longwell Green (signposted off the A431 in Longwell Green, 6 miles from Bristo and bath) -Cider splashed on apple tree roots, toast tucked in branches – not to mention a rowdy rousing of the sap with giant musical apple leaves! The proceedings will begin with storytelling from children's author Dick King-Smith. Prior to the event, children from the Meadows Primary School at Bitton have been making sculptural Wassail orchard ladders with Hazel tree prunings from recent coppice management in the nature reserves woodland.There will be fruit and nut trails, orchard games and homemade apple cakes using local recipes. Fruit tree pruning demonstrations will also take place. Local apple juice will be on sale. Visitors can help plant a new hedgerow, make fruity lanterns and noisy scrap instruments, followed by the lantern lit procession guided by Fred Falstaff, the Apple Caller, Willsbridge Mill’s wandering Wassailing minstrel. After wassailing the oldest apple tree, known as the ‘Apple Tree Man’, he will then lead the procession from the Wild Waste garden orchard to the newly planted fruity hedgerow which provides a new an natural boundary to the recently renovated Upper Mill pond. The finale sees the crowning of the Wassail Queen and Holly Boy. Both have important duties to perform in ensuring a bumper harvest the following season. All participants will be invited to place toast in the trees for the robins to feast on, which are considered to be the guardians of the orchard. After the beating of noisy instruments to wake the orchard from its winter slumbers, as well as scaring away evil spirits and apple pests that might be nibbling the emerging buds. The Communal Wassail cup was then passed around and the traditional Wassailing carols sung and poems recited.The event starts at 2pm and culminates in the exiting ceremony at 5pm: entry is free with material charges for art workshops. For further details please contact Ruth Worsley at Willsbridge Mill on 0117 9326885.

http://www.england-in-particular.info/new/n-wass.html

The Willsbridge Mill event is a bit of a kiddy friendly event, but the Long Ashton Research Station "cider and apple expert" had some amazing single variety apple juices there last year.. http://gourmetbritain.com/shops_entry.php?item=2197

Cyder Sundays were cancelled due to falling attendance.. I suspect it may be more suited as a summer event, so it may return in the summer, I'll keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  23:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WEST CROFT wassail is sold out, so we are off to Wilkins it looks like. Turn up at 7.30pm for a 8 o'clock start. Ciderrrrrrrr

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Steve The Wurzel
White Lightning Beginner

42 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2007 :  22:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Steve The Wurzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I won't be able to make it unfortunately, so 'ave a good 'un Gents.

A few words of advice if yer going.. dress warm as it's semi-outdoors, get there early (aim for 7.30pm) as the narrow approach lane gets blocked by people not realising the parking is in a field on the farm, take a pint glass/wassail mug to get straight at the precious barrels of cider (mix sweet & dry to taste) without having to queue for a glass, beware shotguns going off if your stood in the orchard as the slopes are slippery and the scare can send you ass over tit!! and of course.. drink lots of cider.. get yer moneys worth

..and a favour for I (if possible), can you see if you can get a decent photo of the Joe Strummer at Wilkins article on the wall if it's still there, as my photo was illegible.

Wassail!!
Steve
Go to Top of Page

hippo
White Lightning Beginner

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2007 :  22:50:42  Show Profile  Click to see hippo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gent's we are all off to west croft this year its a shame your all not going!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Gorman
Blackthorn Experimenter

Czech Republic
61 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  09:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whens the wilkins wassail ?

i'm working bristol beer fest , friday nite again , cider i up

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/jezek1968/b8b9e8eb.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  12:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve - cheers for the advice, do you know if they do food there? I'll try and get the Strummer photo

Hippo - Yeah we just missed out on tickets for West Croft and were pretty gutted. Don't supposed you booked any extras and got some spare ones? I think there is gonna be 7 of us tho.

Dave - The Wilkins Wassail is this saturday (20th). we'll be at the beer fest on the Friday as usual so see you there. also doing a cider-only festival in Bath on 16th Feb that looks pretty amazing

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

hippo
White Lightning Beginner

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  16:02:23  Show Profile  Click to see hippo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gents I think we may have one spare it's a gutter you all cant be there if I can I will send you some pics
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  16:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its definitely a gutter. On the brightside at least we'll get to check out a different one, tho it won't really seem the same. Photos would be good, we'll put them on the website, and we'll have some of Wilkins up there too.

If anyone is interested in coming to Wilkins we have a few spare spaces on the minibus, it leaves Bristol at 6:30, and picks up in Nailsea at 6:45ish. Will be a maximum of £15 return, probably cheaper depending on final numbers. Considering its £8 for all the cider you can drink when you're there thats a cheap night out!

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Chowie
Cider Bus Convert

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  19:42:55  Show Profile  Click to see Chowie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm cider, you lucky bastards. My mouths actualy watering right this minute.
Go to Top of Page

Steve The Wurzel
White Lightning Beginner

42 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  19:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Steve The Wurzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gents

Steve - cheers for the advice, do you know if they do food there?

They had some very nice proper job cheddar cheese and onion rolls.. or was it just cheese rools... either way the chances you won't get too many for yerselfs as they dissapear at a rate from memory.
Go to Top of Page

Chowie
Cider Bus Convert

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  13:38:18  Show Profile  Click to see Chowie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So how was it, I found some cider to drink my self, Cider Jack from Vermont, made by the Hard Cider Company so don't mess with em. It was very nice, I have some pics.. Hippo & Keith gave me a phone call from West Croft so I heard the Wassil, sounded good.
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  09:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh it was very good! fairly similar set-up to the West Croft one really, except once you'd paid £8 to get in all the cider and food was free, you just filled your mug up straight from the barrel. There were no belly dancers tho, and tragically no hog roast!!!
Got some photos on here - http://www.hannahmorezider.co.uk/Wassail2007.htm

Hippo, looks like you had a cracking night, I'll try putting your photos on website at some point, its a bit tricky at the moment cos i havent got any software that does a good enough job of re-sizing pictures on my pc, and those photos are big!

Chowie, good to hear you've tracked down some hard stuff, any photos would be great, we haven't got enough coverage of ciders from the US of A on the website yet (mainly cos ive never found any)
Go to Top of Page

Steve The Wurzel
White Lightning Beginner

42 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  12:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Steve The Wurzel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bah.. I'm green with envy.. gert lush it wer last yer.

Was the Joe Strummer article still on the wall Gents?

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  14:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve The Wurzel

Was the Joe Strummer article still on the wall Gents?

Yes it was, i tried getting a picture but they are rubbish, you can just about see that its him but cant read any of the writing.

I'll send it to you later if you like but its not very good.

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page