Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Cider In London
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Jungle Jim
HMZ God

Falkland Islands
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  13:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ivanhoe - this was posted on the ukcider mailing list, sounds like it might interest you! Get down there quick.

"I've been enjoying the New Forest cider stall on occasional Friday
afternoons at London Bridge's Borough Market http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/ "

Cider's coming home...
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  19:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know that chap - and his product. You'll be pleased to know that we can buy Somerset cider brandy at that market.

And you will know us by the trail of empties....
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2004 :  13:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a good man, Barry something. He's not at the market all the time, and when he is there he's generally there for Friday and Saturday. The last couple of weeks he's been replaced by someone from Bridgwater way who makes a cider called Natterjack. (Not as nice as the New Forest stuff IMHO).

What will shock you boys to the core is that they both take full advantage of the exhorbitant prices us Larndoners are used to paying and charge £2.50+ for a pint of scrumpy!!!!!!

Every time me and Mrs I go down we end up (having a pint and) saying "why don't we go to Wilkins', buy a barrel, and sell it at a proper price". However, I reckon that if we ever did get round to it, we'd never bring ourselves to sell it.

All the best

Ivanhoe

Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  09:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very pleased to be able to confirm that The Wenlock http://www.wenlock-arms.co.uk/ sells real cider! A few of us went there last night and drank several pints of something that came from Hampshire (I was told, but my faculties are sadly lacking this morning)whatever it was, it was very good. When they'd run out of that, we drank some Cornish cider, not as good as the other stuff, but it was real!!! The pub is in an odd corner of town, and it's a proper, old-fashioned boozer (with proper old-fashioned bogs too) nothing flash just good beer and cider. I thoroughly recommend the black pudding doorstep at £2, just the job for soaking up all that lovely cider. It's about ten minutes walk from Old Street tube. You may be interested to know that The Big Chill are opening a trendy bar in Brick Lane, they're promising Weston's cider at £3.20 a throw. Good luck to them if they can sell it.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  10:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£3.20?? You could almost buy a gallon of Thatchers for that! I suppose its a small price to pay a few pence extra for something that isn't Fosters.

The Wenlock looks great, I'd be interested to taste the Cornish cider, the only Cornish stuff ive ever had is some weird syrupy stuff. Keep the London pubs coming - we will be visiting one day for a huge research mission for the forthcoming HMZ Cider-Guide, which may appear sometime this century.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2004 :  11:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More cider to be had in London: http://www.individualpubs.co.uk/oakdale/ OK, Haringay is slightly out of the way, but they have real cider on tap, so I shall certainly be making a trip there very soon. Last night I found myself in Peckham, and acting on a tip-off, went into a Wetherspoon's, and lo and behold, they do three different, bottled, Weston's cider at sensible prices. I'm told that all Wetherspoons pubs in London are doing it. I'm still not sure what to make of Wetherspoon's, cheap food and drink, but quite often the atmosphere of a bus station. Anyway, as soon as I walked into this pub (I'd never been in there before) A very large, very drunk, black man grabbed hold of me and told me to get out of Peckham, because it was full of naughty people,
"Where ought I go?" I asked him,
"The Forest of Dean, it's a marvelous place" He replied.
Turns out he married a girl from the Forest, and goes there regularly. I was with another Forester and two Argentines, and after we got hammered on Weston's, our new friend bought us a bottle of Champagne. A top evening.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2004 :  10:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Oakdale Sounds great. Ive got two brief visits to london planned for next few weeks but it looks like it'll be tricky to get from Tooting and back in any decent time . Did you catch the beer festival this weekend there? Looks like an impressive cider line-up:

Kernow Crusher 6.0%
Gwynt y Ddraig (Glamorgan) Gold Medal Medium 7.0%
Orchards Kingston Black 8.4%
Lambourn Valley (Berkshire) Royal County 7%
Broome Farm Brown Snout (dry) 6.5%
Summer's (Gloucestershire) Redwood Perry 5.5%

I think most Whetherspoons ive been in serve bottled Westons, its usually the nearset you can get to a proper pint of cider. A few in Bristol used to serve pints of Old Rosie too, but the last one has just taken it off.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2004 :  10:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Weston's in London Wetherspoon's is relatively new. Sadly, Saturday night's exertions left me feeling somewhat jaded yesterday, so I went to the South American Festival in Burgess Park as it's on my doorstep, so I missed the beer and cider festival.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2004 :  09:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like if ive got time in a few weeks a London cider-crawl could be developing, roughly along the Victoria line, so far weve got...

1. Oakdale (Seven Sisters)
2. Head of Steam (Euston)
3. Wenlock (slight detour to Angel)
4. Chimes (Pimlico)

Not many so far considering the amount of travelling, if the London Cider Drinkers have any other suggestions along the route to break up our gruelling journey i would be very pleased to know

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2004 :  16:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just it, there's hardly any cider in London pubs.
The Royal Oak, Tabard Street (Borough Station, Nothern Line) Stowford Press, and only open from Monday to Friday;
The Bridge House, Tower Bridge Approach (Tower Hill Station, District and Circle Line) Aspall's Suffolk Cyder;
The Big Chill, Brick Lane (Aldgate East Station, Circle Line) Stowford Press - not Weston's as originally claimed.
Also: Samuel Smith's own cider, and Wetherspoon's with their bottled Weston's (the dry is superb).
You'll be first to know when I find more.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2004 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Churz Tharg, i didn't think many would be around but i think weve got enough for a good day out. If it does happen at all, it'll be on a saturday, so the Royal Oak is out, but the other 2 could be fitted in maybe...

The number of places in our area selling ciders has definitely been increasing lately, mainly thru new poncey bars selling expensive bottled ciders (which is better than nothing) but a few pubs have been getting some good stuff on tap too. Hopefully the trend might start sweeping across the country towards you!

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2004 :  09:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know if you're coming down. Maybe I can come and join you for a drink.
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2004 :  09:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure will Ivanhoe, if it happens then it'll be next saturday (28th), although it might be a spur of the moment decision depending on what happens to us at Reading the day before, and if we actually end up in London, etc...

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2004 :  10:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I shan't see you, I'll be in the Forest, where I intend to visit the cider pub in Newnham. I'll post a report.

Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2004 :  11:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be visiting my folks in Holland (plenty of delights to sample there, but no cider) next weekend, so that's a shame. Never mind. I'm sure we'll end up sharing a few pints sooner or later.

Hope you have a good time, whatever you get up to.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page