Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Cider In London
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2004 :  11:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a real shame, although Ive got to say im very jealous of you going to that pub in Newnham, which sounds like it stocks more cider than the whole of London put together.

We'll have to arrange a proper visit to London another time in a few months when you're around. Hopefully by then we may have found some more cider-holes to visit.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  14:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More cider in London, this looks interesting:http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1679.htm
Sadly, I didn't make it to Newnham this time, although I'm back in the Forest in a couple of weeks time - I'll definitely go there then.

And you will know us by the trail of empties....
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  15:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that reminds me i haven't done a review of our london cider crawl... mainly because it was more or less non-existant, but here's where we went:

Moon Under Water, Balham: Stopped in for a few bottles of Westons, mainly because it was on the way somewhere else. Tasted the same as any other bottles of Westons, so quite good but nothing new to us. Only Wetherspoons ive ever been in with a tv!

Chimes, Pimlico: Took us about 15 mins walking there after getting off the tube, only for them to tell us "sorry we've just closed!" What?!?!?! So much for London the 24-hour city, i dont even know any bars in Bristol crazy enough to close for 2 hours on a saturday afternoon! Got an ale in nearby pub, looked up footy scores to find Bristol City losing 2-0 at this point.

Head Of Steam, Euston: Weve been here a few times before and spent the journey saying "at least the good old Head of Steam won't let us down..." Arrive to find a sign on door saying "We will close at 5pm today due to engineering works at Euston". It is now 4:48. Persuade the bloke that we can drink a pint of Westons Traditional in 12 minutes no problem, soon wish we hadn't as we all feel ill half way along. City lose 3-0.

Oakdale, Haringay: Battle thru crowds of chav Spurs fans at Seven Sisters tube (all wearing skin-tight Kappa shirts with gold chains over them) and walk 10 mins to the Oakdale. Nice locals pub with a nice pint of Broome Hill, quite a dry brew, the nearest thing ive tasted to Janet's Jungle Juice. "Do you know where Broome Farm is made then?" i asked the barman, he looked at me oddly, leaned over and read the tap, and then answered "Broome Farm". Leave quickly after one of our party forgets where he is and starts talking loadly about how great Arsenal are.

Wenlock Arms, ?: Get off at Old Street tube, debate which way pub is, walk for ten minutes in wrong direction, stop for a rest in another Wetherspoons and have another bottled Westons. After asking directons how to get there, the majority vote that its too confusing and will take to long to get there, and we need to go for a curry before we starve.

Go for curry, have a Samuel Smiths or two in the West End, go to funky indie disco. So quite a disaster really, a day of solid travelling to find 1 interesting cider that we didn't have to drink against the clock! I fully understand why you London cider drinkers drive all the way down Somerset so often and stock up on your own personal supplies, a much less stressful and quicker option then trying to get one at a pub.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  15:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it's very frustrating. It's a pity you couldn't find the Wenlock. Next time you come down, let us know and we'll take you there - hopefully we'll have found somewhere else that sells cider! Broome Farm is at Peterstow, just outside Ross-on-Wye, and they make very good cider.

Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2004 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever tried Addlestone's cider? I haven't, but Ivanhoe has, and claims that it doesn't taste of anything. It can be had in The Wellington, next to Waterloo Station, and The Griffin in Villiers Street, next to Embankment tube. A couple more and we'll have the makings of a decent cider crawl.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2004 :  20:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They used to do a really nice pint, now they seem to do two versions - a pretty good very cloudy creamy scrump, and a fizzier carbonated one which isn't half as good. I'd guess they do this second one for places where they need the cider to travel better and last in the barrel longer, so this could well be the one you have in London. It's not great, but i certainly would rather drink it than the mainstream ciders on offer in most pubs, definitely worth a try if your nearby but im not sure if i'd make the journey specially.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2004 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. They used to have the real cider at the Trinity Arms (RIP - an ex-pub in our neighbourhood). The stuff in the Wellington is the keg stuff. Still cloudy, and a bit red like Cheddar Valley (although that's where the similarity stops). Pleasant as a drink, but innocuous as a cider.

New cider on the London scene, courtesy of Sainsburys, is 2l plastic bottles of Mendip Scrumpy (don't laugh you Nailsea lads, remember anything's exciting to us starving London so far from the Zider Zee). Had my first glass this lunchtime, and it's like a slightly fizzy Cheddar Valley. Plenty of bits in (which I like to think of as concentrated antioxidants )
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  09:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can only be a good thing that cider (in whatever form) is infiltrating the Capital!

To be honest, Mendip Scrump is about the best stuff you'll get from most supermarkets round here too. I used to have to survive on the stuff during my incarceration at Plymouth for a few years, as there was nothing else on offer at all, but I like it, it's a drinking drink, nice to have a casual few pints in the evening.

Drink Up Thy Antioxidants!

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  15:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the Sainsbury's Mendip Scrumpy, and fine stuff it is too. They also do a nice French single-varietal cidre: Duche de Longueville, Cidre de recoltant.
Even better news, The Priory Arms in Stockwell, has Thatcher's on tap! http://www.prioryarms.com/ We're going there in a couple of weeks for an SE1 cider makers meeting, expect an incoherant ramble soon after.....

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  16:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stockwell! That's a perfect addition to the Victoria Line cider-crawl, the cider-drinkers of Tooting will be pleased about that. First reported sighting of Thatchers on tap in London i think!

I was reluctant to buy that French cider from sainsburys as I didn't want to be a traitor to the Thatchers, but someone bought me some for a present and I've got to admit it was delicious. I have guiltily bought a few bottles since.

I look forward to the incoherant ramble.

ZIDER!

Edited by - Gents on 16/09/2004 16:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Chowie
Cider Bus Convert

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  20:34:13  Show Profile  Click to see Chowie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That French Stuff is good, sadly. I have plenty of new ciders to try in the fridge after a trip to Cheddar and the local Spar? After all I am a "Blackthorn Experimenter".

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2004 :  22:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you get to 100 posts you will get a more impressive name! Ive heard cheddar do a good selection of ciders, and lots of the pubs round there sell it too....... a feel another mission coming on!

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Chowie
Cider Bus Convert

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2004 :  19:57:42  Show Profile  Click to see Chowie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes I have Toe Currler & CrippleCock still to try, Just 28 Posts to go to Cider Bus Convert then, why is Jeff the Chef different? and how did Jungle Jim get his own picture in the Avatar?

Ricardiño
HMZ God

Brazil
841 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2004 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't ventured into the Cider forum for a while so I thought I'd say hello!

In answer to questions, the star ratings are at 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 2000 so you get a name change at each. You can have your own avatar if you send me the picture you want. Don't know what you mean about Jeff???

On the cider subject, I know its a fair way from London but I had a lovely pint of Addlestones in Billy Buds in Croyde last week and the local supermarketsold flaggons of cripple cock too.

Make her day, put something in cider
Go to Top of Page

Chowie
Cider Bus Convert

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2004 :  13:20:13  Show Profile  Click to see Chowie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Everyone around Jeff (no. of posts in the members page) is HMZ God but he is still, Cider Bus Convert.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page