Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Cider In London
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Jungle Jim
HMZ God

Falkland Islands
1872 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2004 :  19:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The HMZ Gods are the HMZ directors, and also forum moderators.
Jeff resigned his HMZ directorship so has to work his way through the cider ranks instead.
And I think it is fair to say the picture on the avatar is not mine!

Cider's coming home...
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2004 :  13:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<<Ive heard cheddar do a good selection of ciders, and lots of the pubs round there sell it too....... a feel another mission coming on!>>

And try the pub in the village at Wookey. Excellent pub, and Westons scrump on tap.

You can tell your lads in Tooting that we went to the Priory in Stockwell last night and it was great. Only one cider (Thatchers. Decent), but loads of real beers from all over. We'll be going back.
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2004 :  10:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I endorse Ivanhoe's comments, The Priory is a very good pub, not only did I drink far more Thatcher's than is sensible for a week day, I also got stuck into several really good German beers, as A result, I got hopelessly smashed. I'm given to understand that The Wenlock has had Thatcher's as a guest in the past, but at The Priory, it's a permanent fixture.

And you will know us by the trail of empties....
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2004 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im very excited by this pub, no immediate plans for a london weekend but i reckon one will have to be arranged soon! Is this a newly opened place or just a new place to you? Good to hear that our Somerset cider is spreading anyway.

How are your plans for making your own coming along this year?

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Jungle Jim
HMZ God

Falkland Islands
1872 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2004 :  17:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping its a newly opened place - I made several trips to Stockwell last year and would be gutted if that was there all along and I missed it! The pub opposite Stockwell tube is supposed to be good, tho I never went in. I think the Weatherspoons opposite the tube in Balham sold decent cider, but take no responsibility for any wasted trips if it doesn't.

Cider's coming home...
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2004 :  18:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep thats the one we went to a few weeks back - Moon Under Water is it? Bottled Westons only when we went but better than what most pubs were offering.

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2004 :  18:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Jim, I may be wrong, but it looks as though it's been there for some time, and it's a really nice place. It is slightly off the main drag, if you approach from Stockwell tube, you'll be able to admire the architectural splendour that is Stockwell bus garage - seriously, the ceiling is amazing. All London Weatherspoon's stock Weston's bottled cider. As for our own plans, everything seems to be going fine, we've all been given different tasks - mine was to get the apples, we're now getting ours from an orchard in the Forest of Dean. Yesterday some of us went to Surrey Docks city farm to see where we're going to do our pressing, it's in a great location by the side of the Thames, and it even has a wood fired oven, so we'll be able to make pizza on the day. After some debate about quantities, we've finally settled on half a ton. I hope that if this year's cider is a success, next year we'll double that, and I'll have go at some perry.

Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2004 :  10:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When are you lads doing your pressing??
Go to Top of Page

Al Caholic
Cider Bus Convert

Vatican City
145 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2004 :  13:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm due to pick my apples in a couple of weeks time and have a few more bits of kit to get before I'm completely ready. I have aquired a couple of rather nice fermenting bins though and some plastic tubs but have not sorted a scratter or a frame for the press yet.

The anticipation is certainly building though

Al
Zider I up barkeep!
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2004 :  15:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We plan to all get together to taste our various ciders when they're all ready (we're going to do the pressing together, and then each make our own cider.)

Do you fancy putting aside a bit of HMZ and joining us in our taste-off? (I'm really jumping the gun here, obviously)

Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2004 :  12:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Song of the London Cider Maker
Drink up yer cider George, pass us round the mug
Drink up yer cider George, it’s better than them drugs
Instead of chasing dragons
You should be chasing flagons
An' there's still more cider in the jug!
(Chorus)
Drink up yer cider, Drink up yer cider,
For tonight we'll merry be
We'll knock the dealers over
From the Old Kent Road to Dover
For their coke’s 'alf-cut and so are we!

Drink up yer cider George, get up off yer aris’
I hear the French drink cider George, from Normandy to Paris
Let’s all go an’ make merry
On a booze cruise on the ferry
There’s still more cider in the vat!
(Repeat chorus)
Drink up yer cider George, we ain’t goin’ far
Drink up yer cider George, some git’s ‘alf inched the car
We’d get a tube to Gloucester
But it stops short at Cockfosters
An' there's still more cider in the jar!
(Repeat chorus)
Drink up thy cider George, there ain’t none to be found
Cos I went out with Ivanhoe and we looked all around
But it really doesn’t matter
We’ll hire a press and scratter
An’ we’ll make some cider in this town!
(Repeat chorus)

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  13:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a beautiful song, and one i was singing all my lunch break yesterday. My immediate thought was it would be perfect for the rumoured Wurzels/Goldie Lookin Chain collaboration that i think is mentioned on the Somerset Music Forum somewhere.

Obviously to stick up for our local producers i have to say i'd prefer:

We’d get a tube to Somerset
But it stops short at High Barnet

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tharg. That's excellent. Bang goes my chance of concentrating on work this afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2004 :  20:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to our pressing, I thought I'd go and visit our apples
http://www.dollboy.co.uk/cider.html They're in an orchard in Littledean, at the top end of the Forest of Dean. As you can see, plenty of apples, but sadly very few pears this year. Son of Nailsea, Keith Orchard invited me over for a perry pressing. We picked 3/4 ton of Cannocks and Blakeney Reds in torrential rain, before milling them, and then leaving them overnight to macerate. We pressed them yesterday, a new experience for me. I may go down next week to help with some cider. I'm really looking forward to making ours now.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2004 :  10:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you have caught the cider making bug! How many pints did you get from 3/4 tonne? It looks like Keith has a much, much more professional set-up than we used so it would be interesting to see how much more economical his equipment was. Thats interesting he leaves his milled pears overnight, does he do the same with his apples??

ZIDER!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page