Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Cider
 Cider Chat
 Cider In London
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  09:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Ivanhoe, im making my way up after work tonight, although got a fairly busy night planned. Im around all of tomorrow daytime, and would obviously be very happy to sample some cider if possible! We were sort of vaguely planning to go to the Head of Steam, Euston, at about 7pm Friday too, if you fancy a Westons?

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  13:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday night at this time of year is generally given over to watching rugby league live on sky. However, if you're going to the Head of Steam a bit earlier (say 6:30) I could stop off on the way home from work, have a pint with you and (as long as I remember tomorrow morning before I set out to work) could leave you with a bottle of our cider to try. I'll check the forum this evening, so let me know before then if that's a good idea and fits in with your plans.
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  13:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm a bit of a prat, because I've just realised that one of our non-cidermaking SE1 forum people is having a party on Friday night.

I wanted to be there reasonably early, but could still do a quick drink on the way home.
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  14:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good, im not sure how early we can get there, weve got to wait for someone to finsih work by Oxford Circus and then head across, but i'll try and get there by 6 and stay there for an hour or so, and then if you can make it that'll be great, but if not - no probs. Im off at 4, but will try to check forum tomorrow morning for a latest update!

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  17:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. If I can I'll nip off from work a touch early and get to HoS by 6pm. Otherwise, I'll be there around 6:30. I'll only have time for a quick one, but it'd be good to meet you and it'd be good to spread the London cider around.

(According to Tharg) I'll look like one of the Village People (because I'll have my bike gear on). In reality, I'll be about 6ft tall with dark hair, wearing bike gear, carrying a white helmet and a bottle of cider. If you're changing plans and drinking nearer Oxford Circus, then if you let us know before tomorrow afternoon I can stop off and meet you there. I work in Nth London, and can go home via either Euston or the West End.

If it's not going to work, never mind. Just let us know before say 4pm tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<<(According to Tharg) I'll look like one of the Village People (because I'll have my bike gear on).>>

Did I really say that?
Gents, I wish I could come too, but I've to attend a colleagues leaving party and I can't really get out of it. I should've got my act together and dropped off a bottle of my brew at Ivanhoe's for you, but I'll take some along to the next Coin Street slow food market and if any of you you come, you can have some.
Had some good cider (and beer) at Catford yesterday, I'll post a full review soon.

And you will know us by the trail of empties....
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  10:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that what you actually said was a bit less complimentary than that:fag:
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  14:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five of us went to Catford: three cider drinkers, a beer drinker, and a retired American Professor of medieval English History, who decided to come on the spur of the moment after I’d bumped into him on the way. After being fortified with huge fry-ups, we went into the Broadway Theatre and headed straight for the (small) cider bar. They only had room to display a handful of the advertised ciders. We discounted the Orchard’s medium cider and the Cannock perry as being known quantities. We also decided not to drink any of the sweet ciders or perrys, this narrowed the choice down to a few. This is the order that we tasted them in:
Palmer’s (Devon) - dry pale almost clear very dry subtle flavour, smooth
Seidr O Sir (Radnorshire) English apples – yeasty, subtle, smells citrusy, acidic
Castle – Kentish apples, crystal clear, spicy nose, medium, zesty – we liked it.
Mynediad Ysbyty – strong tannins, coffee bitterness, good fruit, dark coloured cider, made by Jon Hallam – yes, that Jon Hallam
Brook Farm Perry – clean, refreshing, dry, big flavour – fantastic.
Newton Court Perry – rich, smooth, lots of pear on the nose - a bit “puddingy” - wouldn’t want to drink too much of this.
Cripple Dick (Kent) – farmyard and yeast on the nose, tastes of cooking apples – not popular
King-Turner ( Shropshire) fruity, popular
New Forest Cider – dry, fruity, cloves, spice, honey, “smells like cider should” the overwhelming favourite, and made by Barry the Ciderman, as sold in SE1’s Borough Market.

We thought it churlish not to try some of the many beers on offer. Here are our thoughts:

Millis’ Kentish Red - very hoppy, dry, long finish, “delicious”.
Nethergate’s Umbel Magna - ground coriander, very rich, very complex, coffee flavours, sooty, refreshing – thumbs up from everyone.
Titanic mild – dark, bitter, clean, refreshing – popular.
Grand Union’s Honey Porter - tasted of “salami and chocolate” (!) very popular.
Crouch Vale Brewers Gold – fragrant smelling and tasting, really good
Grand Union Stout – caramel, coffee, chocolate, tar, rich – “fantastic”
Can’t remember the Dutch brewer’s name Hazlenut and Honey Porter - medicinal, “tastes like it’s been drained off a boil dressing” “tastes like a gout dressing” “tastes like Bovril” “Dutch dick wash” – not popular.
Snab Spa (Dutch) –very nice, ordinary, ok, “foreign”.
AdR Montagnarde – spicy, lots of character, nougat, nuts.
Ramsgate Brewery’s Gadd’s no7 – bitter, tannic, “smells of buttered toast” long finish, smooth – the Professor declared that he couldn’t smell toast but he wouldn’t be able to taste garlic either (we were quite jolly by now.)
The Professor disappeared to buy beer, only to re-appear some time later clutching three pairs of trousers he’d bought instead.
Westerham’s Grasshopper – great fruity smell, tastes of grapefruit, very good.
Wolf’s Strawdog – nice, subtle, touch of sweetness.
Dark Star’s Landlord’s Wit – “it tastes of beer” - this was very popular
Drie Horne Besselaer a Belgian beer made from blackcurrants and redcurrants – enjoyed by some, dismissed as “Ribena” by others.
Larkins’ Best – recommended by the bar staff, this was a favourite with us, a great bitter.
Wye Valley Bitter – “bog standard”.
Oakleaf Brewery Mild – “smells pretty good” “quite nice” big flavour, malt, fruit.
Hopdaemon’s Skrim Shandler IPA – bitter orange peel nose, same on the palate, “very good beer” - very popular.
We went to get something to eat, and then headed back to SE1 for a pint in the Wheatsheaf.

During the 8 hours we spent there, we only saw six women. We didn’t start any fires, we didn’t get into a fight, none of us vomited, we did fart a lot (that’ll be the beer) we laughed an awful lot, and next day, although a little sluggish, we all reported in feeling really good. I’m not sure how soon I’d visit a beer festival again, the beer and cider was fantastic, but the hoards of middle-aged, overweight, bald men in safari suits, or t-shirts with wacky slogans on and badges, was a little disconcerting.

Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2005 :  08:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you on Friday Gents. Hope you had a good weekend. Let us know what you thought of the cider.

Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2005 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe Martin

Good to see you on Friday Gents. Hope you had a good weekend. Let us know what you thought of the cider.
Good to finally see you too Ivanhoe, and thanks very much for the cider. As we were out for the night (well, 2 nights as it turned out) we sat outside Euston Station on the pub-bench things and drank your cider, it went down very well indeed, and very quickly. We were both impressed by how established it tasted for a first attempt - it was great, congratulations!

Cheers for the cider offer Tharg, am I right in thinking the next market will be first sunday of July? If so i'll be down plymouth beer fest im afraid, but maybe back before you pack up. Catford sounded like good fun, even if you had to make your own entertainment. Bristol was totally different, lots less beardos than we were expecting and loads of women (although many were fairly ropey). Im ashamed to say I don't think ive tried any of those ciders (although i get confused about which welsh ones ive had as i never take-in the names properly), probably as they are mainly further afield from the Somerset area which I guess you'd expect from Catford. Sounds like they were more impressive than the ales.

Head of Steam was as good as ever. I got there an hour early and keep my eyes on the door looking for a Village Person, only for Ivanhoe to come through a door I never knew existed and recognise me first!

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2005 :  12:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the cider, Gents. As I said to you, it's sometimes a bit of a lottery from bottle to bottle.

If I had turned up in a Village People costume, I could have lent it to you for that Electric 6 gig
Go to Top of Page

Gents
HMZ God

Trinidad and Tobago
2214 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2005 :  18:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivanhoe Martin

Glad you liked the cider, Gents. As I said to you, it's sometimes a bit of a lottery from bottle to bottle.

If I had turned up in a Village People costume, I could have lent it to you for that Electric 6 gig

- We definitely won the lottery then!

I was trying to keep the gay-ness of my weekend quiet! As if it wasn't gay enough already, when i was told i had to meet someone I'd never met before who was dressed as one of the Village People, in a bar, on my own, i was severly worried! Managed to survive the weekend without harm tho.

ZIDER
Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2005 :  14:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Market Porter, next to Borough Market, just south of London Bridge, is to serve draught Weston's. The landlord got in a couple of barrels and was delighted when he sold out in a couple of days. More is due in on Monday, and he wants to stock it regularly. I'm not sure which variety it is because when I got there it was gone, but it was described as "scrumpy". This is great news.

Go to Top of Page

Tharg drinker of cider
Cider Bus Convert

Borneo
184 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2005 :  06:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some of the Weston's "scrumpy" last night, I'm not sure what to make of it. For one thing, it's clear. It's also a bit sweeter than I'd prefer. I think the landlord should be persueded to stock some craft cider.

Go to Top of Page

Ivanhoe Martin
Cider Bus Convert

Oman
273 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2005 :  13:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] I think the landlord should be persueded to stock some craft cider.

I'll go round and offer him a deal on some of ours
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Nailsea United Football Club © HannahMoreZider.co.uk Go To Top Of Page